Saturday, August 29, 2009

Heart of Darkness 13

  • “You should have heard him say, “My ivory.” Oh yes, I heard him. “My Intended, my ivory, my station, my river, my ---” everything belonged to him. It made me hold my breath in expectation of hearing the wilderness burst into a prodigious peal of laughter that would shake the fixed stars in their places. Everything belonged to him - but that was a trifle.” (p. 91)
In this passage, Conrad is describing Kurtz’s obsession with authority and ownership. Kurtz’s list of objects or places he “owns” truly reveals his character as he comes off as selfish and demanding. Kurtz even goes to the extent of claiming things in nature such as “my river.” Marlow finds Kurtz’s desire for power quite humorous and pathetic; he is surprised the wilderness isn’t laughing at Kurtz’s ridiculous “possessions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment